Beer Brats and Sauerkraut are a summertime favorite at our house. This recipe combines those two ingredients along with another wonderful tasty treat…. puff pastry. This is like Summer wrapped up in a little bit of heaven.
I found this recipe on the Johnsonville website and of course as always, tweaked it a bit. My daughter, Jessica, was over last week and we decided to whip this up for dinner while taking down the Christmas decorations. This would also work great to serve as an appetizer at a party (Super Bowl Sunday is coming up soon).
I want to say this straight out, I know some people get a bit nervous when they hear they have to work with puff pastry….DON’T!!
There really is nothing scary about puff pastry just a couple of things to keep in mind, keep it cool (refrigerate after thawing until ready to use) and when you roll it or press down on it that part will not rise. Pretty simple and straight forward.
As always, please let us know how you, your friends and family like this.
Make it a great day!
P.S. Please be sure to share this on Facebook and pin on Pinterest so that all those wonderful people you know will not only be able to enjoy this delicious recipe, but they may decide to hang out and be counted among the many friends we have. (We just love making new friends)
Baked Brat and Kraut Rollup
1 package (19 Oz) Bratwurst
2 Tablespoons butter
1 medium Yellow Onions diced
1 can (14 Oz) Sauerkraut drained
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Mustard (yellow or spicy brown)
1/2 teaspoon Dill Weed
1/2 teaspoon Garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon Caraway Seeds
Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 sheets Puff Pastry thawed
2 cups Muenster Cheese, shredded
2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Prepare Brats (grill, boil in beer, fry in a pan..however you prefer to make them). Cool slightly and then cut into half moon slices.
3. In a frying pan melt butter. Add onion and cook until caramelized. Add sausage and sauerkraut to heat through.
4. In a small bowl combine sour cream, garlic, mustard, dill, caraway, salt and pepper.
5. Grease two baking sheets. Unfold one sheet of puff pastry onto each sheet.
6. Spread the sour cream mixture over each pastry sheet leaving about a 1/2 border. Spoon the sausage/Kraut mixture down the middle of each pastry sheet and top with cheese.
7. Lightly brush the edges of puff pastry with water. Fold the long sides over the top of the filling so that they slightly overlap being sure to press lightly to form a seal. (Our puff pastry was square so don’t panic if yours is, it will still work out fine) Pinch the ends making sure to seal them.
8. With a sharp knife cut 4 or 5 slices into the top to create steam vents. Brush the tops of the rollups with water and sprinkle the poppy seeds and sesame seeds on top.
9. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
10. Slice and Enjoy!