I decided to take a page from Aileen’s playbook for the start of this new year and try eating less meat. Those of you that know me know that I am just as bad as most mean when it comes to my love of big, juicy, medium rare steaks…. so I didn’t think this was going to be just a walk in the park for me.
I knew I was going to need to find some “go to dishes” that I really enjoyed and that were very easy, this happens to be one of those recipes!! (Did I mention this is all made in just one skillet?)
Even if you are not trying to cut back on meat, this is an excellent dish to add to your repertoire either as a side dish or an inexpensive dish to make on those “No Meat Mondays”.
Give it a try and let me know what y’all think!
Make it a great day!!
Sexy Southwest Quinoa Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapenos, minced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Damn Delicious